Wednesday, October 22, 2008

THE Truth

Whenever anyone proclaims that s/he is telling me "the truth" I need to fight the temptation to hold on to my wallet! I had a similar reaction when a student or client would approach me and say: "Do you want me to be honest?"
"Truth" and "honesty" are always relative.
Relative to our own theologies, cultures, lieben-sitz, biases.
That is not to say they have no value. Rather, it is to reject them as agents for control! To refuse to allow them to be used as means for stopping debate and open discussion.
If we desire to create a time of "peace" it is vitally important for us to learn about the relativity of "truth". Our claims to "the truth" suggest that the 'other' is either lying or, at the least, poorly informed. Few of us take kindly to such accusations!
Yes, Jesus did claim that he "was the truth". He did claim that the "truth" would set us free. But not "truth" as an abstraction. Kierkegaard said that "truth" only exists in action. This suggests to me that the "truth" of Jesus is lived to the degree I am able to allow him to live in my life. When I choose to love the 'other'. When I choose to seek justice for all people. When I participate in creating 'health' for all and oppose creating those factors that create disease and death.
In these final days before the national election it is important for each to realize the relativity of "truth" - ours and the candidates - so we are able to discern the action(s) that are required.